Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bootcamp Day 1 - June 14, 2010


So, i'm back!! As many of you know, I began bootcamp awhile ago.  I was working downtown near Ground Zero when I walked by the infamous Trinity Boxing gym in search of lunch.  On the outside I saw a sign advertising bootcamp.  I had always wanted a bootcamp workout, but never had the desire to join the military.  So, I saw this as my big chance to work out, if only for one month, bootcamp style!  These classes are very challenging, and at times your muscles are too fatigued to complete each exercise.  But the test is to work as hard as you can for as long as you can, at times to the point of complete exhaustion.  I even vomited in one session, but we later attributed it to my not providing my body the proper fuel; I have since grown to appreciate fuel like bananas, coconut water, and protein.  When informed of the incentive of improvement, a free month of boxing, I earned "Most Improved" status one month, recording 80 push-ups in 2 minutes, from the 40 i did at the beginning of that month, and running the 2-miles in 15mins, up from 18mins at the outset.  I've done a few months since then, but this is a blog about the bootcamp session i joined on June 14, 2010.  Although I feel Eddie's is the best, most affordable bootcamp, there are many in NYC and some in your area if you dare to try.  The results speak for themselves.

On Day 1, as usual, we are asked to perform diagnostic tests: max push-ups in 2mins, max sit-ups in 2mins, and a timed 2-mile race.  The instructor, Eddie Lima, is a retired marine, a former green beret who served in Afghanistan and Iraq for about 20yrs.  He and I have developed a good relationship.  He knows what I am capable of and he often shares with new or potential clients how i had the most energy in the class, often bouncing on both feet like boxers do in between exercises.  So, my reputation preceded me yesterday as I began the first full month there since Fall 2009.

I rocked the push-ups and felt satisfied with my sit-up game.  However, my legs turned to silly puddy during the 2-mile race.  I completed it in 18:35, just about third or fourth place out of the group, which varies in age and includes a few women. On the last day of bootcamp, we will take this same test again to determine who is the most improved, based on a scale Eddie uses from military standards, which considers our age and gender.  Clearly I need more cardio, and more cardio I will be sure to get.  After all, I just may get a free month of bootcamp if I improve more than everyone else.  Tomorrow I foresee pain and more mental challenges, so Follow me...

No comments:

Post a Comment