Friday, May 28, 2010

David & Goliath - Why David Won


          Just when I thought I knew the David and Goliath story, after taking time to actually read each word I learned something more probative that explains why David won.
          My perspective on this is written after I had already completed reading the entire Bible, front to back.  I finished Revelations on May 15, a day after my younger sisters birthday.  This is the first post since I accomplished that feat.  I wanted to be sure I added my two cents on the David & Goliath story because it appears we have misused it to a large degree.
          We all know the general story: David, sometimes seen as a young boy ultimately has to fight a giant man, maybe as big if not bigger than Shaq and David kills Goliath with a slingshot to the head and then beheads Goliath.  One moral of the story is that with the right amount of faith and determination, small people (either in stature or otherwise) can compete and dominate those who appear to be bigger and more powerful.  This moral is often invoked figuratively in adversarial competitions or arenas, be they physical, intellectual, etc.  However the perception has always been that on paper, Goliath had no business losing to this smaller sized human being.
          "Then Goliath, a Philistine champion from Gath, came out of the Philistine ranks to face the forces of Israel. He was over nine feet tall! He wore a bronze helmet, and his bronze coat of mail weighed 125 pounds. He also wore bronze leg armor, and he carried a bronze javelin on his shoulder. The shaft of his spear was as heavy and thick as a weaver's beam, tipped with an iron spearhead that weighed 15 pounds."  1 Samuel 17:4-7.
Goliath taunted the Israelites and challenged the following: "Choose one man to come down here and fight me. If he kills me, then we will be your slaves. But if I kill him, you will be our slaves. I defy the armies of Israel today! Send me a man who will fight me!" 1 Samuel 17:8-10.  
This challenge terrified Saul and the Israelites. 
          The part we rarely focus on however is how prepared David really was for this particular encounter.  If attention is paid, one could reasonably conclude that David was well prepared for the fight and Goliath arguably was out of his league.  Here's David:

"'Don't worry about this Philistine,' David said to Saul. 'I'll go fight him!'  'Don't be ridiculous,' Saul replied. 'There's no way you can fight this Philistine and possibly win! You're only a boy, and he's been a man of war since his youth.'  
But David persisted.  'I have been taking care of my father's sheep and goats. When a lion or bear comes to steal a lamb from the flock, I go after it with a club to rescue the lamb from its mouth. If the animal turns on me, I catch it by the jaw and club it to death.  I have done this to both lions and bears, and I'll do it to this pagan Philistine, too, for he has defied the armies of the living God! The Lord who rescued me from the claws of the lion and the bear will rescue me from this Philistine!'"  
1 Samuel 17:32-37
  
          I can only speak for myself.  I would have put money on David without hesitation.  A boy who's skilled at rescuing lambs from the jaws of lions and bears is my friend indeed!  So the next time you hear someone apply the David and Goliath story to an actual situation, be sure that the "David" in that situation is more than just someone or some group who is small going up against a big person or group , a "Goliath".  The "David" must have spent time and effort preparing not only for a battle, but specifically for a battle tougher than his opponent had ever faced.  As this story is told, we only see Goliath as a "champion," a tall muscular fighter who is the best the Philistines have to offer. We are not told he fought dangerous animals like, lions and tigers and bears, Oh My!!  
          Knowing David had such a background fighting very dangerous and wild animals and rescued lambs from their claws and jaws reminds me to continue working harder than any potential opponent is, to master any craft I hold true, and be confident that proper preparation prevents poor performance no matter the enemy.     
I recommend that you go back and read the entire book of 1 Samuel involving, but not limited to, the story of David and Goliath, Saul's fall from God's grace, King Samuel's reign, Saul's attempts to kill David, David sparing Saul's life twice, Saul's ultimate death and more.

2 comments:

  1. Good insight. I have some comments. I've just spent the last couple hours reading 1 Samuel (not done yet, but I took a short break to view paintings of David and Goliath online after I read chapter 17). I agree with a lot that you've said, but check this out:

    Saul says in verse 17:34, "... for you [David] are but a youth, and [Goliath] has been a man of war from his youth." I'd compare the fighters like this:

    Goliath:
    - Biggest man anyone has ever seen
    - Well armored
    - Full-grown adult male with untold years of experience in savagery (could be 5, 10, 15 or more years)
    - Cocky attitude, driven by hatred for Israel

    David:
    - Small, agile teenager
    - Definite boldness and courage
    - Experience killing vicious wild animals
    - Mammoth faith in God, driven by faith in His sovereignty

    Take out the spiritual aspects... Even with David's strengths, he would stand no good chance against a giant barbarian. Think about a pro welterweight fighter stepping into the ring with an amateur heavyweight fighter. Who would win? The stronger amateur, who has more bang for his buck would be the favorite, even though the lighter pro has more technique and preparation. Size does matter. My guess is that Goliath out-weighed David by at least 2 times, probably 2.5 times. David would definitely need help.

    Just my 2 cents! Anyways I'm going to get back to 1 Samuel. May the Lord's truth be revealed to you as you continue in your reading of His Word. Peace,

    -Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post thank you Milan

    ReplyDelete