Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Who You Callin'...OBESE?? It's On!


There I was, relajandome on Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro circa March 2006.  A few law school friends and I decided to visit during our final semester.  We no doubt remain thankful for the opportunity and for having shared an experience of a lifetime in "La Cidade Maravilhosa" together.  Visiting Rio (and Sao Paolo in my case for 3 days solo) merits its own blog anyway, but that's not my purpose here.  This picture has a deeper significance for me.
          Within a week of taking this picture, I visit the school doctor for a regular check-up (it had been a good year since I had gotten a complete physical, w/blood examined, etc.).  During the exam, and without any sort of warning, the doctor informs me that based on the BMI (Body Mass Index) formula, I was in fact considered obese! Now, at this point in my life at 5'10" I weighed the heaviest ever at 238lbs (law school function staples were beer and pizza after all).  But in no way shape or form would anyone conclude that there is an obese black man smiling at us all in this photo.  Right?

          Except my doctor...who looked me in my eyes after analyzing some chart and said, "You are obese."  So, you know we had to have a discussion because I totally disagreed with his assessment, having seen obese people with my own eyes, plainly noticing a drastic difference in their BMI and mine.  But doctors know best in their field so I peppered him with questions to get to the bottom of it all.  My first question: "Excuse me sir, but I am curious about this BMI formula. To determine BMI, there must have been subjects used as standards, correct? Bottom line, I would like to know if black people (males in my case) were used as standards at all in any study?"  The doctor said no, and I learned also that Asian body types were not considered...only white male body types served as the basis for determining my BMI.  Also, muscle mass is not taken into consideration.  Go figure. I hope one day that my doctor friends could create a BMI for nonwhites or one that considers muscle mass, if something similar does not exist already.
          The Body Mass Index (BMI) is a measurement tool that compares your height to your weight and gives you an indication of whether you are overweight, underweight or at a healthy weight for your height.   A BMI of 30 or more is considered obese. Being obese increases your risk for serious conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
BMI = (weight in pounds/height in inches x height in inches) x 703.

BMI Categories:

Underweight = <18.5

Normal weight = 18.5–24.9

Overweight = 25–29.9

Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater


          Yet and still, I had not seen a beachside photo of myself in awhile before this shot was taken.  After the judgment of obesity was levied, I gradually began to notice via this photo what I call "the inner-tube potential" developing.  Take a closer look.  I got gut, and one could see that gut expanding without an intervention of some sort.  Growing up, as athletically inclined as most long-term athletes, I always had a fear of becoming the chubby hubby, beer and remote in hand rubbing on his tummy with no motivation/energy.  It was on!
          So I ran. Lost twenty pounds that summer.  This photo represents the beginning of an awakening. Since then I cut out red meat, drink a lot of water no soda, no dairy, natural juice, only use almond milk only sweetener is agave, eat a lot of fruits/nuts/veggies and the gut is no more. In full disclosure, every now and then I indulge in some chocolate, some cookies and other sweets, while I never compromise on banning white sugar and dairy.  I have completed a few bootcamps (last one ended a week ago), ran a NYC half-marathon in '08, and suffered through many bikram yoga classes in 2010.  My arms are now much more defined.  Most importantly, I remain alert and energetic during the day (i do see zombies) and reject caffeine altogether.  As some rappers are known as "conscious rappers" I guess you can say I am a conscious walker, a conscious journeyman, and conscious of the fact that if we also focus on our health as a main priority, the rest will follow. I also urge all readers to have open and honest discussions with your doctors, doing research on your own and dedicating your life to personal change if need be. It is a great feeling to invest time in improving yourself and there is always room.  Here is an updated photo of yours truly taken in April 2011 while relaxing on the pristine Phi Phi Island in Thailand:

 
Stay active everybody!!  And Go hard!!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! And I've been meaning to thank you for making me realize the importance of fitness by introducing me to bikram! It was just what i needed to kick me into gear. Did bikram through May, then bought a bike and having been exploring the paths in the city! It has totally changed everything. Now biking, yoga and generally staying active are key anchors in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thx Val for posting and for bikram shout out, at first I wasn't sure if you would rock it for long. i am jealous of your bike riding, it's something i also have been meaning to do through NYC and NJ. Where did you buy your bike? Bday plans???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my bike at On The Move in Park Slope. My brother Brian's mentor owns the shop and gave me a deal. You should holla at him if you want to get one! I biked 24 miles to Jersey and back yesterday. My thighs were burning all night! But I'm better now. lol. Off to Yoga and the hot tub at Reebok Sports Club ;)

    ReplyDelete