Wednesday, April 7, 2010

On Reading the Bible



Well, ladies and gentleman. Yours truly has begun reading the entire Bible, aka "The Good Book" from front to back. Like many of you, I was raised with a Bible in my baby carriage, immersed in Christianity before i could even think on my own. And so was my mother, as was her mother, and so on until you reach far enough into the peculiar history and see this same religion being imposed on African slaves forcefully, the only option to conversion being death of course. Sadly, this was done before any slaves were even taught to read English. Very vivid images of this process and others can be seen in Haile Gerima's film entitled, "Sankofa". But I digress.

So, why am i reading "The Good Book?" I am reading it out of sheer curiosity. Mind you, I am reading this book with full knowledge that it has been edited, and edited, and I read it knowing full well that its translation to English significantly takes away its original meaning. The fact that books were purposely omitted is recognized as well.  As you know the Bible, after having been spread orally for centuries was written in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic. It was translated to Old English in the 7th Century. I choose to read this book because it is one of the most important, most often read and discussed, books in world history. I simply want to empower myself in the event I end up in yet another discussion about the Bible.

This book has been promoted as the "infallible word of God." While it was written (and edited) by humans, it is said to have been inspired by God. I have been told many things about this book. And throughout the years I have developed my own opinions on the matter. But ultimately I thought to myself, how can I claim to have any footing or foundation in the Bible if I had never taken the time to read every word?  So i began reading it recently, while taking copious notes. I am in the end nothing more than a truth seeker, SO I SEEK (Remix of TLC's "So I Creep" is on the way)!!

I want to experience the book for myself for the first time. Sure, like many others, I've gone to church and heard others' interpretations. But I am not a great spectator, and I choose to use my freedom and education to develop and reach an informed understanding of The Good Book. Please share this experience with me as I blog every now and then throughout this process.

Before the end of 2010, and probably during Ramadan, i also plan on reading the entire Qur'an as well.  Insha'allah.

2 comments:

  1. This series was/is fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good deal bruh...especially the reading of the Qur'an which from what i've been told is a less homogenized version of the Bible.

    ReplyDelete